September 24, 2010

Recap since Pikes

I shouldn't be blogging right now.  Instead, I should be carefully planning and meticulously packing for the John Muir Trail.  I take off tomorrow after work and scheduled to begin the trek early Sunday morning from the Happy Isles Trail-head in the Yosemite Valley.  I am a bit nervous about this one.  I don't know how my body will do.  I put myself in a state of fatigue, injury, and sickness from the previous weekend and never had a chance to recover as I had a busy workweek.  Add in the self inflicted pressure and drive to not only complete the entire trail but do it fast.  That being said, I need a break from the daily grind- 2 phones, 3 email accounts, work, obligations, and general get up and go go go lifestyle I have been leading the past few weeks.  Starting with the Pikes Peak weekend some 4 weeks ago, I have to found myself in Colorado twice, Pittsburgh, Blacksburg, and just about every town in Arizona North of Phoenix.  I have "raced" every weekend since Pikes Peak: Run for Creeks (2 mi and 10k), Chino Valley, Jerome Hill Climb, Imogene, Alumni Race.  I have been blessed to be healthy and happy these past few weeks of racing but I am tired.  Let the Sierras rejuvenate me.

**************************************************
Imogene was a really cool race.  Basically, it is a 10 mile grind uphill to 13k feet, then a 7 mile pound down the mountain to the beautiful resort town of Telluride.  It's like Pikes Peak Ascent but not.  The similarities include altitude, elevation gain, and atmosphere.  The difference is, well, I felt good at Imogene.  For once I got the best of the Colorado high country.  What a great weekend with some great people.  

The Alumni race weekend was equally great.  I ran well but more importantly I had a blast reminiscing and sharing some good times with great old friends.  I need to go back to VT more.  I can't believe I hadn't been back for over 2 years.  Dumb me.  

The others races were more low key, local type races.

Well, time to finish packing for the JMT
****************************************************
People always ask what I eat out there.  So, here at 10 Dinners I made up (11 actually, i need to ditch one of the last 2):

1/2 box Barilla Angel hair Pasta, Basil sauce mix (add olive oil)

1/2 box Barilla Angel hair Pasta, alfredo sauce mix (add dry milk)

1/2 box soba noodles, added salt and garlic powder and olive oil for sauce

1/2 box (6 oz) soba noodles, added salt and garlic powder and olive oil for sauce

Curried Cashew Couscous (1cup dry couscous),  will add cashews and raisins or craisins

Curried Couscous (1cup dry couscous), will add cashews and raisins or craisins

Spanish rice (lipton side) plus 2/3 cup dry seasoned dehydrated refried beans

Taco rice (lipton side) plus 2/3 cup dry seasoned dehydrated refried beans

Mountain house macoroni and cheese, wow look at how much saturated fat is in here!!!

1 pack lipton side teriyaki noodles, A great tasting simple side

1 pack baby red mashed potatoes, a simple quick extra meal if I need it

    

No comments:

Post a Comment