April 16, 2009

Upcoming Races

I have been battling IT band problems for the past few months. It has been frustrating but I am ready to move on. I signed up and paid for a few races last week even though my IT band is still bothering me a little bit. I figure that if I sign up and pay for races it will motivate me to get healthy and train harder. I decided to go a different route for the next few months. I am going to test myself on some high altitude trail courses including the Salomon Flagstaff Mountain Trail Series. Summers can get hot here so it will be a good opportunity for me to get to the mountains and escape the heat for a weekend. Additionally, the softer racing surface should reduce the chance of my IT flaring up again. I may get back on the roads later this year and go after a marathon PR.



Race for the Creeks 7 Miler, June 6, Prescott AZ
-May run this just for a tune up
-Seems like more of a "charity" run

Gaspin in the Aspen 15K, June 20, Flagstaff, AZ
-Race 1 of 3 of Salomon Mountain Trail series
-Already paid for this one
-Looks pretty competitive as most races are in this trail series

Pikes Peak Ascent 13.32 mi, Aug. 15, Manitou Springs, CO
-I applied for a competitive entry (aka free) so I am not sure I will get in
-Just like it sounds: A footrace to the top of Pikes Peak. The 1st half of the Pikes Peak Marathon.
-Nearly 8000' of elevation gain climbing to an altitude above 14,000'
-I think I will die but if I get in I am willing to try it.

*Updated
Jerome Hill Climb 4.7 mi , Sept. 6th, Jerome, AZ
- I ran this event last year and won.
- Jerome is a neat old mining town with little hippie shops and artsy people.
- They had a cooler of free beer at the top. Nice


Flagstaff 1/2 Marathon, Sept. 26, Flagstaff, AZ
-Race 2 of 3 of Salomon Mountain Trail Series
-Already Paid
-Said to be toughest marathon course in southwest
- 8000+ feet altitude
- 1100 feet elevation gain

Soulstice Mountain 11.25 mi Trail Run, Oct. 11, Flagstaff, AZ
-Race 3 of 3 of Salomon Mountain Trail Series
-Already Paid
-8000+ feet altitude
-Very Popular Race apparently- Sold out in 2 days

November or December Marathon: Options listed Below

New York
San Antonio
Richmond
Marine Corps
Las Vegas
Tuscon

We'll see what happens. I'm excited to feel the pain that cross country racing typically brings to my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment