December 6, 2009

The Granddaddy- END



The wonders of the Grand Canyon cannot be adequately represented in symbols of speech nor by speech itself. The resources of the graphic art are taxed beyond their powers in attempting to portray its features... The glories and beauties of form, color and sound unite in the Grand Canyon... It has infinite variety and no part is ever duplicated. Its colors, although many and complex at any instant, change with the ascending and declining sun... You cannot see the Grand Canyon in one view...but to see it you have to toil from month to month through these labyrinths...but if strength and courage are sufficient for the task, by a year's toil a concept of sublimity can be obtained never again to be equaled on hither side of Paradise."


Powell, John Wesley 1909
Conclusion

Not much to say. This trip was a wonderful experience. I wish I had more time to do longer (1 week +) hikes like this. It’s hard to have a true adventure like this one on a weekend and you have too much to think other stuff to worry about. I can’t help but wonder how much greater it would be if I had nothing to worry about when I returned. Things such as bills, loans, work, appointments, and all that stuff that were in the back of mind during the trip. In no way did these thoughts consume my mind. It’s just that it would be that much more enjoyable if I was completely free.

The Grand Canyon is beautiful, diverse, huge, and pristine one you get outside the corridor trails. It is so much more than just the view points.  I could do 10 seperate weeklong and see a new area of this Canyon.  how wonderful to have something so marvelous in my own backyard. 

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

No comments:

Post a Comment